ChecklistBefore starting your experiment, check that you have the following equipment:
- 4 detectors (sometimes called "counters")
- Each detector has a PMT attached. Each PMT should have a signal cord (usually black or green) and one power cord (usually red).
- One oscilloscope, with several T-connectors with terminators.
- One power supply (in a metal enclosure).
- One DAQ card with power cord and signal cord (may need a USB/serial connector too).
- Stand or cases for detectors (usually schools make their own stand to stack detectors).
- A computer with the CROP DAQ software.
- A multimeter (optional)
Power Supply SafetyYou will be working with very high voltages! It is important to follow proper safety protocol.
- Increase and decrease voltages slowly.
- Be sure to decrease the voltage all the way to zero before turning the power supply off.
- Wait a few moments after a power supply is turned off to unplug detectors.
- Cover any exposed wiring with electrical tape or other non-conductive material. Don't touch exposed wiring in cables when they are attached to the power supply.
- Don't open up the power supply case. Please don't try to fix it yourself! If you think your power supply is broken, return it to CROP staff and we will fix it or give you a new one.